Wednesday, July 9, 2008

A Sultry, Summer Salad

July is my favorite culinary season, mostly because of the wonderful, fresh fruit and vegetables available this time of year. I also love it because I have my first crop of figs (that I have to fight against the local birds for), my pear tree is loaded and almost ready to pick, and I actually have a decent crop of walnuts this year. All these ingredients can also be found at most local farmers’ markets, and together make a wonderful combination. So I will share with you my favorite, decadent summer salad.

Pear, Fig and Caramelized Walnut Salad

6 cups baby lettuce greens or butter lettuce salad (my favorite)

2 pears, thinly sliced

1 ½ once blue cheese or goat cheese

Salt and pepper to taste

A handful of fresh or dried figs

1 cup walnut halves

Vinaigrette (see below)

Caramelized Walnuts: Melt sugar with walnuts in a non-stick pan, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and spread out to cool.

Combine lettuce with sliced pears, crumbled cheese, and sliced figs. Top with caramelized walnuts and salt and pepper.

Basic Vinaigrette

2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar

1 tsp. minced shallots

¼ cup virgin olive oil

Salt and pepper to taste

Wisk all ingredients together and add to salad. (You can also add a small amount of fruit juice, such as pomegranate, cranberry, or raspberry to flavor.)

Recipe by Karen Grimes

No comments: