Monday, July 14, 2008

A Napa Albarino

Typically when I think of Albarino, I think Spain. Albarino thrives in the Spanish wine region of Rias Baixas, located in the far northwest corner of Spain. And to be sure, I have had some outstanding Albarino wines from this region. However, the other night I brought a bottle of Albarino from Napa to an outdoor dinner party.

Albarino is often likened to Riesling for the mineral characters of the fruit and Viognier for the intense aromas it delivers. Albarino wines are characterized by vibrant aromas and intense flavors of citrus and stone fruits. I thought my Napa Albarino would be the perfect addition to an outdoor dinner party held during one of the hottest weeks in July. I wasn’t disappointed.

This Albarino comes from Hendry Ranch, a small estate winery located near Carneros in the Napa Valley. Hendry produces a handful of small production wines and is one of the few wineries to plant Albarino in the Napa Valley. Their 2007 Albarino is a very flavorful wine with a fragrant bouquet of aromas and lots of citrus and peach flavors. It paired wonderfully with our first course of a simple pasta salad with sun-dried tomatoes and a green salad with fresh tomatoes and balsamic vinaigrette. Other suggested pairings for this wine include goat cheese, lemon cream pasta, grilled sole and paella.

Written by Linzi

No comments: